Saturday, April 21, 2012

no need to go into surgery details again....it was pretty much the same as before ;)  Thankfully the headaches were not as intense, nor the nausea.  Knowing what to expect allowed me to better prepare myself for the aftermath of surgery, and so I had better drugs on board...including an anti-anxiety as Cushings causes high anxiety.  I was very thankful I was on it when my post-op day 5 labs came back.....once again high numbers.  I literally threw the paper across the room.  A much more mature reaction than the first time ;)  I was not surprised as I said, I did not have the cortisol withdrawal symptoms that come with a remission from Cushings.  Even so, it was nice to dream........

Currently I am weaning off the replacement hydrocortisone (steroids) that are taken post-op.  This coming week will be my final week on them....and the fact that I have not had difficulty in weaning is another tell-tale sign that I am not in remission.  I will begin testing again once off the hydro, to see where my cortisol levels are...and I suspect that will start before the end of the April blog challenge.  My prayers are that if I still have active Cushings that it will show on the tests quickly so that I may start one of the two medication options for the short-term.  Dr Friedman has already told me that he feels I will need to have a bilateral adrenalectomy done, sigh..more surgery and this one with permanent consequences, but that is for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment