Thursday, April 19, 2012

oh my I missed TWO days!!  i thought i missed yesterday, well that is just an example of a Cushie moment ;0)

After my pituitary surgery I spend Sept/Oct recovering, I was fortunate in that my Mom was able to stay with us during the week for the first two weeks.  After those weeks passed we were blessed to have meals brought to us three nights a week for the next 6 weeks.  I know that sounds like a long time, recovering from pituitary surgery is a long, slow recovery.  Because the surgery is done endoscopically there is no incision site or scar that is tangible proof of the major surgery done.  Besides sinus congestion, I just looked tired.  It was hard for me to be on the receiving end of all the help...I'd much rather bask in the joy of giving.  I had to remember that in my years of good health when I was able to do for others, I found joy in serving.  And so in my time of need, if I didn't allow those offering to help, them I was robbing them their opportunity to find joy in serving.  It was very comforting to me that my family was able to eat healthy, hot meals (there were usually leftovers) and not rely on take and pizza for two months! 

I began walking as soon as I could, probably around 3 weeks post-op.  I started strolling up and down my sidewalk, graduated to around the block, and worked my way up to 2 miles.   It felt good to be able to exercise again!  I had developed steroid-induced myopathy when my Cushing's went full-blown and lost all the muscle mass that I had worked so hard for in the years past.  Before Cushing's I was an avid exerciser, as I mentioned before.  I was pretty strong, in fact the strongest I had ever been.  The high levels of cortisol broke down the muscle I had and left me with little strength/stamina. "Exercise intolerance" is actually a symptom of Cushing's.  I had told the first two endoits that I saw that not being able to workout was a symptom I was experiencing....their solution:  diet and exercise....sigh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment