Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Hypercortisolism

oh no!  I missed another TWO DAYS in the challenge!!  I hope I get a pass though, the past two days I was in a major 'low' and felt horrible!!  The type of Cushings that I have is cyclic/episodic....I'm really not sure which officially ;)  Cyclic Cushings is periods of high and low cortisol that shows a pattern....epsodic Cushings is periods of high and low cortiols with no pattern (more random and unpredictable).  I have never asked Dr Friedman specifically which of the two I fall under, it doesn't really matter.  I am beginning to believe I am more episodic as when I track my symtpoms and test results I cannot find a pattern.  But it could be that the patterns are long duration and I don't test long enough to reveal them.  Or it could be that i cycle often throughout the day and would have to test daily throughout the day to reveal them.  see why I say, it doesn't matter ;)  Nonetheless, cycling between high and low cortisol is very hard on the body, the difference resulting in a 'crash' which leaves me feeling completely beaten down for the time. 

 
So I thought it might be good to share the symptoms of high and low cortisol

 
Hypercortisolism (high)

·   Extreme weight gain
·   Upper body obesity
·   Rounded face
·   Increased neck fat
·   Deepening voice
·   Balding
·   Hirsutism
o    Increased facial hair
o    Increased body hair limbs
·   High blood pressure
·   Sleep disturbances
·   High blood sugar
·   Diabetes-like symptoms
·   Hyperadrenocorticism
·   Bruising easily
·   Red face
·   Slow-healing skin
·   Weakened connective tissue
·   Osteoporosis
·   Hyperglycemia
·   Severe weakness
·   Psychiatric disturbances
·   Skin problems
·   Thin Fragile skin
·   Poor healing
·   Abdominal stretch marks
·   Mood changes
    • Irritability
    • Depression
    • Moodiness
    • Fatigue
    • Mental disturbances
· Weak muscles
· Backaches
· Sexual and fertility problems
·         Irregular menstrual period
·         Absent menstrual periods
·         Reduced libido
·         Reduced male fertility


Hypocortisolism (low)
            Fatigue
·          Weakness
·          Nausea
·          Vomiting
·          Weight loss
·          Abdominal pain
·          Hypotension
·          Hypoglycemia




 

No comments:

Post a Comment